Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Anachronisms/Mistakes in DtS/MoT
06-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Anachronisms/Mistakes in DtS/MoT
This post will cover a few mistakes and anachronisms seen in the first two Death to Spies games. Keep in mind that this will not cover uniform errors, as they are pretty commonplace in popular culture.

Cannibal

The first mission of the original Death to Spies, Cannibal, takes place in 1943 and involves sneaking into a German tank base to obtain documents on the "latest" self-propelled gun, Ferdinand, as well as to abduct the base's commanding officer because of his knowledge of Ferdinand. This is an anachronism, because the Elefant (of which the name Ferdinand was the prototype designation, named after Ferdinand Porsche) was used in the Battle of Kursk and couldn't have been a secret from Soviet intelligence by the time the events of Cannibal take place.

Winter Cold

There are plenty of Soviet paraphernalia strewn throughout the mission despite it taking place during Nazi occupation. There's an intact statue of Lenin found in the park, pictures of Stalin and some propaganda posters can be found up on the walls of various homes, and some Germans can be found listening to Yuri Levitan, a Jewish radio announcer whom Hitler personally offered a reward to anyone who would assassinate him.

Project Y

All American military personnel in the mission wear the insignia of the 101st Airborne Division. There are also black soldiers present. Racial segregation was applied to the US armed forces throughout WWII, and it wasn't until the Korean War (not Vietnam) that black and white soldiers began to serve in the same unit. All FBI agents in Shefferd being white is correct, because J. Edgar Hoover refused to employ non-whites during his tenure as head of the FBI.

Die Spies!

On the streets, there's a newspaper stand which displays various English language newspapers, which isn't exactly what you'd find in Nazi-occupied Poland. One newspaper bears the headline "BABE RUTH IS DEAD". Babe Ruth actually lived until 1948, when he died of throat cancer.

White Head

White Head is the only German mission in Moment of Truth in which Nazis carry Sturmgewehr 44s instead of the usual MP40s. Problem is, the mission takes place in 1943.

The rank Praporshik

In conversation, Soviet soldiers sometimes say (translation roughly as follows) "Sometime ago he said "Run from me to the next oak tree." and then I said "Comrade Praporshik, where is the other oak? I only see one oak tree here." Although the rank Praporshik, or Warrant Officer, was used at various times throughout Russia's military history, it wasn't adopted in Soviet times until the 1970s.

DeLisle Carbine

The DeLisle Carbine was a British silenced rifle which was produced in very limited numbers, so it wouldn't really have been used by SMERSH agents.

Silenced Sten MkIII

Silenced Sten submachine guns had a tendency to overheat. But obviously for a stealth game like Death to Spies, no overheating system for weapons was ever implemented.

Post any mistakes you find in both games here on this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2019, 09:15 PM
RE: Anachronisms/Mistakes in DtS/MoT
Quite late but I figured I'd throw a few I know.

The Nagant Revolver actually has a bit of metal over the back of the cylinder unlike most revolvers (Unlike the version in Death to Spies) which is what makes it be able to be silenced.

Pilots/Officers in Lightning carry Lugers, The Luger was mostly removed as a combat-weapon during 1938 (it was basically more flashy than practical for combat), while I admittingly am no expert, it seems they would probably given the cheaper/more practical for combat P38's instead. (Could be wrong though.) The Luger was still used onwards from 1938 but mostly since there was a high demand for handguns but they stoped getting any more Lugers in 1943, its not impossible for the Pilots to have Lugers, it just seems a bit unlikely. (haven't checked all the dates of other levels which have Lugers and don't.)

The Gewehr 43 was actually not used that much as a sniping weapon, apparently the German army prefered Kar98's with scopes. (really only sticks out since there's no scoped Kar98k in the first two games and the Gewehr 43 is the only German Sniper.) Also for some reason the Gewehr 43 is the only weapon that no spare ammo can found for which is a bit weird. (probably balancing reasons.)

Less of a mistake and more of a compromise due to the weapons made for the game but the British Army didn't use 1911's as much as potrayed in the game, they did use 1911's delivered from the US but they also had two handguns of their own (The Webley revolver and the Browning High power.) but these are never seen in Death to Spies.

Another thing that's more of a compromise but Lee Enfields were generally reloaded with stripper clips (like the Kar98K) instead of magazines since it was cheaper, this was probably done due to the magazine-based reloading of Death to Spies.
11-27-2019, 02:32 AM
(11-26-2019 09:15 PM)Samz707 Wrote:  (really only sticks out since there's no scoped Kar98k in the first two games and the Gewehr 43 is the only German Sniper.)

Actually, the scoped Kar98k was introduced in MoT. And funnily enough, the briefing for Renegades mentions that Starikov and Nikolayev carry Brownings as well as TTs, yet the Browning was never created for any Death to Spies game, nor can anyone carry two pistols at once.

It's never too late to post your facts on this thread, so don't let the age of the OP discourage you.Big Grin
12-01-2019, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 03:38 AM by Samz707.)
(11-27-2019 02:32 AM)Liz Shaw Wrote:  
(11-26-2019 09:15 PM)Samz707 Wrote:  (really only sticks out since there's no scoped Kar98k in the first two games and the Gewehr 43 is the only German Sniper.)

Actually, the scoped Kar98k was introduced in MoT. And funnily enough, the briefing for Renegades mentions that Starikov and Nikolayev carry Brownings as well as TTs, yet the Browning was never created for any Death to Spies game, nor can anyone carry two pistols at once.

It's never too late to post your facts on this thread, so don't let the age of the OP discourage you.Big Grin
Yeah you can only carry multiple pistols with a backpack, which I don't think any AI in the series have. (I also don't think you can place a backpack in the inventory of an enemy in the Original Death to spies, at least via the inventory menu, dunno about MOT.)

The Sten was actually designed to be able to use German MP40 magazines, which Death to spies (and 99 Percent of WW2 Games with the Sten,) doesn't let it do, it also tends to clip into Semyon's Shoulder when holstered, I also can't remember if we ever see any of the British NPC's in missions armed with them. (Just Lee Enfields and Colt 1911's I think.)

I also can't find anything about Smersh using Choloform. (Not with a quick search anyway, I admit this was just done by searching "SMERSH Chloroform" in google so I could be wrong but all of the results were related to the game series.)

In reality, the German Army used the Kar98 alot more than the MP40 which is kinda the opposite of how the weapons are distributed in Death to Spies.

The F1 Handgrenade is unlike the other grenades a "Defensive" Grenade, basically, much heavier but with a rather large explosion (so much that throwing one without something strong to hide behind is extremely dangerous.) but in-game it's like the other grenades, the same applies to the mines as the larger and heavier mine I don't think has a larger blast radius.

The Haversack weighs the same as the full-size backpacks (A minor thing admittingly but it does make it so there is literally no point to wearing it over the russian backpack aside from looking different.)

Gonna throw in some Alekhine's gun stuff.

Alekhine's gun's AKM is apparently (according to IMFDB) just the original AK47 rather than an AKM, which is milder than the Usual AK mistakes. (since the AKM is just an improved AK47 rather than games claiming some Chinese copy is the real deal).

Semyon holds the K98/Mosin Nagant as if they have a pistol grip in Alekhine's gun.
12-01-2019, 04:11 AM
(12-01-2019 03:31 AM)Samz707 Wrote:  Yeah you can only carry multiple pistols with a backpack, which I don't think any AI in the series have. (I also don't think you can place a backpack in the inventory of an enemy in the Original Death to spies, at least via the inventory menu, dunno about MOT.)

The Sten was actually designed to be able to use German MP40 magazines, which Death to spies (and 99 Percent of WW2 Games with the Sten,) doesn't let it do, it also tends to clip into Semyon's Shoulder when holstered, I also can't remember if we ever see any of the British NPC's in missions armed with them. (Just Lee Enfields and Colt 1911's I think.)

AHO experimented with equipping NPCs with backpacks in DtS, and it causes the game to crash. He also equipped some British soldiers with Stens in his DtS Enhancement Addon, I have no plans of getting round to follow suit with my MoTmod Addon.