Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Beta elements
03-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Beta elements
Every game has some beta elements left in their data, and Death to Spies is no exception. I'll share with you what I have found in the game's files on this post. I reimplemented some of these in my MoTmod Addon.

Early German soldiers and officers

In pre-release screenshots for DtS (some of which can be seen on HG's website) German soldiers and officers were completely different in appearance compared to those seen in the final game. Strogov can even be seen wearing these early uniforms. However, the model for Strogov wearing the uniforms was changed to match the final designs. The headgear and equipment meshes of these early models, however, are used for their winter counterparts.

There is also an unused texture named "german_officer03.dds" that is completely different in map layout compared to the other two. No model associated with this texture exists.

Epaulettes can be seen in the winter soldier's body textures, but they can't be seen in-game as they haven't been mapped to the model's shoulders.

Despite these early textures not being used in the final game, they were not immune from the censorship changes for the international release.

Early Hotel NPCs

In an early trailer for DtS (which is up on HG's website) and at least one early screenshot (see attachment), the security guards and some civilians in Hotel are completely different in appearance compared to those seen in the final game. The textures for the early guards can still be found in the game's files. Interestingly, the hat mesh isn't a separate texture file. However, all of the models associated with these textures were redesigned. I made new skins a while ago for my MoTmod Addon based on how they would look in-game.

Also seen in the trailer are early models of what would later become "NMadam_1", and a possibly early model of what would later become "HotelMan01" (sitting on the bar stool). The early woman's model still exists in the game's files, and is now used in both AHO's DtS Enhancement Addon and my MoTmod Addon.

Madam_2 was originally planned to be in Hotel (because she is in the "Hotel" folder in "Players"), but in the final game, she is instead a civilian in Embassy. She also has an unused hat mesh.

There are two last pieces of cut content trivia for Hotel. The first is that in the trailer, two waiters can be seen in the hotel's generator room. In the final game, however, a single civilian wanders in and out of the room. The second is that the British soldiers in Embassy were originally Hotel guards, as seen in the attachment. The soldiers, however, are still referred to as "HotelGuard" in Embassy's SWD file.

Early Sdkfz251

An early Sdkfz251 model exists in the game's files. I had a look at it in-game (testing it by replacing Sdkfz251_1.smf with Sdkfz251.smf in Paycheck's SWD file) and there doesn't seem to be any collision detection attached to it. A destroyed version of this model, however, can be seen in Winter Cold.

Early Strogov outfit

There's an unused model of Strogov called "SemenRussian" and the uniform texture is called "sab_body_russian.dds". I intend to use this model for Training in a future release of my MoTmod Addon, but right now it's impossible because the model's skeleton has yet to be adapted for MoT use.

Post here if you think there are some more leftover components left in the data that I haven't covered.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2019, 01:28 AM
RE: Beta elements
No idea if this is true (But it seems likely?) I was watching a video of an old

playthrough of Motmod and there's an axe in the loadout, which is apparently in the game files already.

Kinda weird since it looks more like a medievil/Fantasy game Axe than something you'd see in world war 2.
11-28-2019, 01:49 AM
(11-28-2019 01:28 AM)Samz707 Wrote:  No idea if this is true (But it seems likely?) I was watching a video of an old playthrough of Motmod and there's an axe in the loadout, which is apparently in the game files already.

Kinda weird since it looks more like a medievil/Fantasy game Axe than something you'd see in world war 2.

The axe is in MoT's files, not DtS', and it was likely implemented as a joke. forlik posted a screenshot back when Jagdpanther was in development as a joke which featured the axe, and it served as the inspiration for having the axe in Winter Cold's loadout in the MoTmod Addon. Goes well with the peasant clothes.Big Grin
11-29-2019, 11:11 PM
(11-28-2019 01:49 AM)Liz Shaw Wrote:  
(11-28-2019 01:28 AM)Samz707 Wrote:  No idea if this is true (But it seems likely?) I was watching a video of an old playthrough of Motmod and there's an axe in the loadout, which is apparently in the game files already.

The axe is in MoT's files, not DtS', and it was likely implemented as a joke. forlik posted a screenshot back when Jagdpanther was in development as a joke which featured the axe, and it served as the inspiration for having the axe in Winter Cold's loadout in the MoTmod Addon. Goes well with the peasant clothes.Big Grin

Ah so it was in MOT's files then. (are there any other unused items? out of curiosity.)
I think it would have been neat to maybe be able to take it off a suit of armor or something that video games love to potray german castles as having every 10 steps.
07-17-2020, 03:59 AM
It turns out you can view models from the previous Death to Spies games in the Smersh Editor, provided you move the relevant models and textures into the Alekhine's Gun folder. Taking advantage of this, I re-examined the early Sdkfz251 model from DtS, and turned on the Brush Colliders. And yes, no collision physics were ever implemented into the model I examined earlier in-game.

However, there is a second model present in the game files which is exactly identical to the other model, and it does have collision physics. I've attached screenshots so you can have a look.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-18-2020, 09:29 PM
nice!