Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would You Kindly - The Second Alekhine's Gun Fan Mission
03-25-2022, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2022 11:18 AM by Liz Shaw.)
Wink Would You Kindly - The Second Alekhine's Gun Fan Mission
I never thought it would take as long as it did, but after releasing (and re-releasing) the first Fan Mission for Alekhine's Gun, the second Fan Mission is finally here after four years of development:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y89qy0mdqd1h22...0.rar?dl=0

https://mega.nz/file/Gg8BXLSQ#W3sNBsgvlg...THzgIHIz3k

Background

After four years of on-and-off work, I now finally bring to you the second Fan Mission for the third Death to Spies game, Alekhine's Gun, featuring several Bioshock references and starring the Dr. Grossman splicer, in an AU where he never went to Rapture. I started work on this project in November 2017 (around the same time as MoTmod Addon v14.0), after what was then my main computer (Windows 7) was brought down to my new home. There are several reasons for why it took so long to finish - it took me ages to figure out the overall level design, work on other game and video projects, spent too much time on certain games than I should have, and of course, the remaining levels released for the Smersh Editor. In hindsight, though, I wouldn't have released it without all the levels released first, given some bugs I found during the late stages which required me to add extra exportable properties to certain Actors. The idea for this mission came during development of Mystery Foes, when among other things, I was listening to several Bioshock splicer quotes, which at the time were only available on YouTube thanks to the user "MamaLuigii". When listening to the Dr. Grossman video, there was one certain quote featured that basically kicked off what my next fan mission project will be, even though I never played any of the Bioshock games. It will also be the first Alekhine's Gun mission which, for once, does NOT involve assassinating or abducting someone - a fact which no doubt plays right into the hands of those who dismiss the game as a cheap Hitman rip-offAngry (though they'll easily say that about the Death to Spies series as a whole). My ultimate experiment with this project was making an entire mission which maximizes use of the Template map's default VectorMap size, while at the same time keeping the Terrain completely flat (you will not find any hills or any other height modifications in this mission). The first mission in Death to Spies: Moment of Truth, Lightning, was also an inspiration for this project, and there's at least one tribute to it with a recreation of a certain area of the camp. Hopefully, by releasing this second fan mission, more attention to the game and level editor will be drawn. If not - don't worry, I'm not Sander Cohen. There will be more fan missions on the way.

Story

Captain Boyde of the US Navy has called a secret officers' meeting at a remote camp deep in the forest near (REDACTED). The KGB have caught wind of this, and have discovered that Boyde has secret plans locked away in a file cabinet in this camp, and it's believed this meeting is called to discuss those secret plans - which are suspected to be upcoming US Navy operations in Cuba and Indochina. The KGB have tasked Strogov with infiltrating the camp and retrieving the documents. However, when he arrives, the meeting has already begun, so he needs to get Boyde and the officers out of the room long enough for him to sneak inside, grab the documents and get out. Thankfully, KGB intelligence has figured out a way to distract Boyde without alerting him - four enlisted seamen under Boyde's personal command have recently arrived at the camp. Each one of them has a certain vice, and they don't look particularly kindly on Boyde's personal physician, Dr. Grossman. Therefore, the best way to disrupt the officers' meeting is to pull a prank on the doctor, by luring the seamen into his office.

Features
  • Extra tips on Easy difficulty for when changing into certain disguises.
  • No targets to assassinate, however you still have to knock out at least one person so you can get the key to the documents cabinet off their body.
  • Dr. Grossman has twenty-two lines of scripted dialogue, taken from MamaLuigii's video compiling the quotes from the first Bioshock.
  • The perimeter of the camp is heavily patrolled, but inside, at first, there'll be less security. However, after the first objective is complete, some extra guards will be called out various tents and guard houses and patrol the area. However, if certain guards are neutralized before this happens, the extra guards won't be called.

Songs Used:

Bei Mir Bist Du Schön by The Andrews Sisters
How Much Is That Doggie In The Window by Patti Page

How To Install

This mission was made with the Steam version of Alekhine's Gun in mind, and requires Patch v1.02 to run. The game files can be found in C:\ProgramFiles or ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Alekhine's Gun. Copy everything that's in the CopyWhatsInsideIntoGame folder into the respective folders in the aforementioned directory. The mission can be accessed at any time, at the end of the missions list after clicking New Game. Upon clicking on the mission and the difficulty you choose, the opening cutscene starts up - it's only there because a cutscene is required to load upon starting up a mission before the briefing loads up. To skip it, press the Escape key after waiting a few seconds upon the cutscene loading.

Compatibility with Enhancement Addon

This fan mission is 100% compatible with the Alekhine's Gun Enhancement Addon, however there are some files that can very easily be overwritten if this mission was installed first. The affected files are:

Levels\GameMenu\GameMenu.lua
Scripts\startup.shad
Scripts\Templates\Actors.shadvs
Sounds\basesoundsfx.shadvs
UI\FR_strings.shadvs
UI\GE_strings.shadvs
UI\IT_strings.shadvs
UI\PT_strings.shadvs
UI\RU_strings.shadvs
UI\SP_strings.shadvs
UI\strings.shadvs

And there are also certain files that can likewise be very easy to overwrite if the Addon was installed first. The affected files are:

Levels\Hotel\Hotel.SWD
Levels\Level01.Berlin\Level01.Berlin.SWD
Levels\Level02\Level02.SWD
Levels\Level08.Zamok\Level08.Zamok.SWD
Levels\Level09.Bunker\Level09.Bunker.SWD
Levels\Level10.Carrier\Level10.Carrier.SWD

The Actors.shadvs file inside this folder is based on Addon v0.12, so expect some differences to appear in the base game as a result, most notably the player character's crouched running speed being slower.

There are also some slightly modified vanilla SWDs of various base game missions to adapt to changes made to the Actors.shadvs file. They are unnecessary if you installed the Addon first.

With the implementation of cream_soda's shaders and shadows fix, it is recommended that you delete your shader cache so the changes work properly (the game will generate a new cache the next time you boot it up). The cache can be found here:

Documents\My Games\AlekhinesGun\Cache

Note however that if you installed v0.12 of the Enhancement Addon first, deleting the shader cache once you install Would You Kindly isn't necessary.

Special Thanks

Hiei- for the French translations
mer!X for the German translations
Freestailo for the Italian translations
cream_soda and MKS||Moustache_Anarchist for the Russian translations
MKS||Moustache_Anarchist for beta testing and feedback
cream_soda for his Shaders and Shadows fix
MamaLuigii for extracting the Dr. Grossman Splicer quotes and uploading them to YouTube
jonukwho on deviantART for the Liz Shaw sketch

Here's a playthrough of the mission on Hard difficulty:

And here's a playthrough on Saboteur:

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2022, 11:19 AM
RE: Would You Kindly - The Second Alekhine's Gun Fan Mission
The OP has been updated to feature a video playthrough on Saboteur difficulty.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply