Released in 2007, Death to Spies is a stealth action PC game set in World War II. The player's character is a captain called Semyon Strogov in the eponymous Soviet counterintelligence agency - SMERSH.
Smersh is short for "Death to Spies" in Russian, and was the name of a set of counterintelligence agencies formed in the Soviet Army during World War II around 1943. Their mission was to secure the rear of the active Red Army by arresting traitors, deserters, spies and criminal cells. During the war these agents became the main force combating the German intelligence service.
As captain of the 4th department of Smersh, it is the player's job to execute these operations in the heart of enemy territory. Players are required to complete various tasks, including stealing important documents, eliminating enemy officers, kidnapping high-ranking officials, and sabotaging enemy plans.
- Third-person stealth action immerses the player into the atmosphere of World War II military intelligence operations.
- Different types of missions based on real historical intelligence and counterintelligence operations.
- Freedom to choose the way a mission is completed.
- Extensive real-life indoor and outdoor locations.
- A variety of different spy skills at the player's disposal such as sneak, change clothes, carry dead bodies, mine objects, throw knives, sniping, picking locks, setting traps and many others.
- Authentic weapons and vehicles of World War II.
80 IGN: "Even with its quirks, Death to Spies is an entertaining, varied, and highly addictive pastime for those who enjoy exercising their brain as much as their trigger finger. It's intelligently delivered, credibly presented, and anything but easy". Read more..
77 Game Chronicles: "While it's not a revolutionary game, Death To Spies delivers a compelling stealth experience and is well worth a try for genre fans". Read more..
70 Game Spot: "It may not be easy doing sneaky dirty work in the Second World War, but it is more entertaining than you'd expect" Read more..